How To Vape Without Coughing
You switched from smoking to vaping. That’s great news. however, you’re finding that you have a nagging cough. Is vaping causing your cough? What’s going on? Yes, vaping can cause coughing. Here’s why it happens and what you can do to enjoy vaping without irritating your throat.
What's in this guide:
Why Do I Cough When I Vape?
- You’re vaping the wrong way. The right technique is key to enjoyable vaping. If you want to enjoy vaping, learn to inhale slowly and shallowly. Don’t pull on the device the way you pull on a cigarette.
- Vape devices don’t have anesthetics. Analog cigarettes have thousands of ingredients. Among them are anesthetics that keep you from feeling the burning sensation of inhaling smoke. If you step too close to a bonfire or a fireplace, you will cough when you inhale smoke from burning leaves, wood or other substances. Since vape juices don’t have anesthetics, you get a purer flavor that may seem harsh at first.
- Your cilia have grown back. As you may know, smoking destroys the cilia in your lungs. Cilia are the delicate tissues that remove impurities, mucus and other substances from your lungs. Loss of cilia is one of the keystone side effects of smoking. After you quit smoking, your cilia regrow. An increased cough is the result of the cilia doing their job. As they move mucus out of your lungs, your body coughs to get rid of it. In this case, coughing is a sign that your lungs are healing.
- Vaping can be dehydrating. Most experienced vapers know they need to drink extra water while they’re vaping. Sodas and juices are high in sugar and don’t hydrate your body. Alcohol increases dehydration. Stick to plain water for the best results.
Is Coughing a Common Side Effect of Vaping?
Many people cough the first time they vape. That’s usually because they’re former smokers who vape the way they used to smoke. Studies have found that half of all vapers report coughing when they start. Fortunately, most of them no longer cough when they do.
Vaping isn’t like smoking. Most vapers learn that they must use long, slow inhalations instead of quick, hard puffs. This creates a smooth, pleasant vapor. Disposable vapes are a good way to get started.
How To Avoid Coughing when Vaping: 5 Tips
- Improve your technique. In most cases, this will come naturally as you get used to vaping. You may have to adjust your technique slightly depending on the type of device you’re using. Smokers guide to vaping.
- Lower the wattage. Is your device set on the highest wattage? High watts can lead to hot vapor that feels like it’s burning your throat. Most vapers should use low to medium wattage settings on their devices.
- Slow down. Vaping isn’t designed for constant chain puffing. Doing this can cause the vape liquid to overflow, and getting a hit of hot vape juice is extremely unpleasant. When you refill a pod or cartridge, wait a few minutes before you start vaping. This gives the coil a chance to get wet and avoids the possibility of a rough, painful dry hit. How to use a vape pen.
- Change the coil or pod. Sometimes, a dirty or burned-out coil is to blame for your harsh throat hit. If you’re using a pod mod or vape pen, it may be time to change the pod. A burnt pod will create a harsh, burnt flavor that irritates your throat. How to clean a vape pod. We also sell replacement cartridges for Suorin devices.
- Change your juice. Vape juices with high nicotine levels can be harsh. That’s why salt nicotine was developed, and it’s also why this juice has become popular with people who want to maintain high nicotine levels. If you dislike the way a vape juice feels, switch to a lower-nicotine juice or salt nicotine. Beginners guide to vape juice.
Treatments for Vaping Cough
If your throat is sore from coughing, try these home remedies to soothe it.
- Saltwater rinse. This old-fashioned remedy has been proven to help soothe sore throats in clinical trials. To make the rinse, boil a cup of water and add one teaspoon of salt. Let the solution cool until it’s warm, and then gargle and swish with it for 30 seconds.
- Honey. Honey is another folk remedy with proven benefits. It is an antifungal and natural anti-inflammatory. To soothe your throat, swallow two tablespoons of honey or add them to a cup of hot tea.
Enjoy Vaping without Irritation
When you switched to vaping, you made a great decision. By following these tips, you can enjoy vaping while protecting your throat.